Wednesday, October 29, 2008

No Kitchen!

When we moved into our home 6 years ago, the first thing on my list to change was the kitchen. It had old 80's butcher block-style formica counter tops and wood stained cabinets that needed to be redone, whether restained or painted. I wanted to paint it. So, 6 years later I am doing it! With my time at home, I have seen things about this house that have bothered me so much that I am finally getting around to changing it. Over the past years we have done some things, like remodel the kids bathroom (just painting the cabinets and replacing fixtures that were brass. Yuck!), but the kitchen needed it more than anything else.
-
I started this project about 2 months ago (that's a guess) and all of the cabinet doors are hung, minus the pantry doors, put new hardware and hinges, and voila! New cabinets! It is a really small kitchen, so it desperately needed something light. I love it. I sent pics to some friends and family and some asked me who did them! That made me feel good. Well, the next project was to replace the UGLY counter tops and I bought the granite tiles yesterday and my father-in-law is working on it today.
-
Problem is, I forgot one thing: many appliances would be pulled out to do this task. So this morning Jason pulled out the sink (ah!), then he and his dad rolled out the stove/oven (double ah!). I thought, well, I can do a lot of cooking in the microwave, crock pot, then wash the dishes in the bathroom sink. Well, that thought went right out the window when they were taking off the old back splash and had to take down the microwave (was over the stove) to get to it. WHAT?????? So my lovely father-in-law said "guess you all will be eating out for several days". Great, my 25 pounds I lost? I can feel them slowly coming back on with just the sheer thought of eating out that much. What am I going to do? If any of you have suggestions, please pass them on. I can't live on sandwiches and salads....that is all I eat for lunch anyways.
-
But, to stay sane, I just remind myself what an amazing looking kitchen I will have when all of this is done. I'm not one of those that hovers when someone is working or fixing something in my house....but I just might do that so that I can cook in my kitchen sooner than later! :)
-
Here is a picture of my "new" kitchen cabinets that I lovingly painted all by myself. Yep, not even Jason helped. I insisted on that being MY project. Although I did have to consult with him a few times about the right grade of sandpaper, how much primer to put on, etc. But I did it myself, even hanging the doors back up, which my friends caused many 'o curse words to spill out of my mouth during this. I had to scoot the kids to Sammi's room and put on a movie with the volume way up so that they did not hear mommy. Trust me, it was bad. The big hole is where the microwave hung and the stove/oven was. Let me just tell you what crap you can find under an oven when you move it: a Cars DVD (we thought Joshua threw it away after tearing the house up trying to find it), a cookie sheet, dog bone, rubber ball, and other nasty things. When they rolled it out, I was standing there with the shop-vac in hand. I just knew it would be nasty. So to all of you missing something, pull out the oven or refrigerator. It just might be in there!
-
See the ugly counter top? I am so glad to say goodbye to it. Yuck! What looks like goo dripping down the wall is the glue that held up the back splash. That will now have 4x4 travertine tiles. Yea!
Look, no sink! *sniff sniff* I know this will be ok and short term, right?

I will post new pics of it when it is all done. I just can't wait! When Jason finishes hanging the new faucet and shower head, I will post pics of the tiling that he and his dad did in the kids bathroom. All I can say is that it is simply gorgeous and I am so impressed with Jason's tile design skillz.


































































No comments: