Monday, March 30, 2009

Early To Bed, Early To Rise

Wow, it has been awhile since I have blogged. I had plans to post pics of our spring break trip to Arkansas to visit my sister-in-law and family, but I lost my camera cord and my memory card doesn't fit in our laptop for some reason. So until my cord comes in, no pics!

I have had all kinds of things come to my mind to blog about as I make my long drive to work everyday, but then I get home and it is just insane until I get settled into a good schedule. Instead, I'll just write about my new job, which I L-O-V-E!

My first day started last Wednesday. My amazing, selfless, giving, thoughtful mom came up with the idea to stay with us my first week to shuttle Sammi to and from school while watching Joshua. One, so we can get a handle on what our mornings and nights will be like and two, to save some dinero on daycare. Sounded great to me! Added bonus: home cooked dinner every night! It worked out perfect and the kids had a ball with her. I cried when she went back home. Not as bad as when she left after staying with us the first week after having Sammi, but almost. :) I just really enjoyed seeing her everyday.

My new boss and team mates are amazing. Everyone is just so laid back and nice. Another great thing, I get to wear business casual clothes M-Th and then jeans on Friday. Woo-hoo! I now have a closet full of suits to find a new home. I did like wearing suits, I just didn't like the dry cleaning bill. So now I am slowly buying more casual clothes to wear, I just don't have enough.

The world of insurance is so different than the world of pharmaceuticals. But I love learning something new. I am a recruiter to bring on new insurance agents for a supplemental insurance company. We pretty much corner the market and have little to no competition and there is no cold calling. For those of you that have done recruiting, that is great. I never had to cold call at Pfizer and am thankful I still don't have to do it. But now I am dealing with those that have their insurance license and for those that do not, I have to learn what each state requires so that I know what to tell them to do to obtain it. After my first day, my brain was just swelling and tired from taking in so much information and trying to process everything. I crashed at 9 o'clock that night. I can't remember the last time I went to sleep that early!

I am able to work flex hours and get to work at 7 and leave at 4. For me, driving to Dallas, that is as huge plus. I miss the traffic! Granted, I have to get up at the crack of dawn (5ish) and drive to work in the dark, but it sure beats sitting in traffic while white-knuckling the steering wheel in hopes of getting to work on time. Jason takes the kids to school (a whole new world for him) and I am able to pick them up at 4:45. Plus, I get an extra hour or so with the kids. I didn't get home until 6:40 my first day when I got off work at 5 and then they go to bed at 8. Again, no traffic at 4:00.

My kids are going to a christian academy/daycare that I love. I am just so happy and excited that I found this place. It is real close to our home and I love their structure and curriculum. Today was their first day there and they kept asking when they get to go back. Good sign!

All of this sounds so great and wonderful and like all of the pieces are fitting together. But I do miss several things from being home. #1, the obvious, seeing my kids so much more during the day. #2 Getting to take random cat naps during the day if I need one #3 Not having to put on makeup daily #4 Getting to sleep in until 7 (see a common sleep trend?) #5 Getting to browse online whenever the urge hit me. I had many days that I didn't feel cut out to be a stay at home mom, but I will forever be thankful for the 8 months I was home with my two precious kids.

Ok, I need to wrap this up, 5 AM comes really early and I have to force myself to go to bed by 10. I am used to staying up until 11 or 12. Not anymore! But I am SO blessed to have a wonderful job to get up early in the morning for.

Happy Monday!

3 comments:

Becca @ The Texas Darlings said...

I have missed you!!! I knew you were probably busy with the new job!

And it sounds perfect! Everythng really did come together for you- just the way God works!!!

I am happy you had that time to be home with your kids- you will remember it fondly looking back. But now you are on to a new & exciting chapter. And the kids are happy at their new school too.

I am really so glad it is all working out!!

Take care!
Rebecca

Monkey said...

I'm so happy you have found an incredible job!! You deserve it!

Jodi said...

I am SO glad things are so good! Yay!!! :)

I cry to when my Mom leaves.... :)