Monday, June 29, 2009

Friend Makin' Monday

Happy Monday! I have to keep telling myself that because right now I am not feeling very happy. No specific reason, other than I am sore from head to toe from various house projects over the weekend and hand-washing my car last night. Does that mean I am out of shape? Probably. I know I am. But this is just another reminder how out of shape I am. I slept horribly for some reason. Nothing on my mind, I just tossed and turned all night. Argh.

I was looking forward to find out what the topic for Friend Makin' Monday was going to be, and I was excited to find out! If this is the first time you have heard me mention FMM, go here to find out more about it.

Today's topic: 4th of July! Woo-hoo! First thing I think of when it gets closer to the 4th of July: a 4 day work week! But seriously, it also reminds me to thank and remember the soldiers that are fighting and did fight to preserve our freedom. We are lucky as hell to have them do what I think is the toughest job that many of us (me included!) are too scared to do. So for any current or previous soldiers that might be reading this...THANK YOU!!!


What are you doing this July 4th?
No huge plans this year, just going to my dad's for the day to swim, cook out, watch fireworks from his balcony (has a great view), and maybe shoot off our own fireworks.

What is your favorite dish to pass when attending a 4th of July party or summer barbecue?
My dad always smokes a brisket, so if he asks me to bring a side, I make baked potato casserole. Super easy and I make it in a crock pot.

Do you have any July 4th traditions?
We have a family reunion for my mom's side that always falls on a weekend around the 4th. It all started after all of my cousins were married (7 of us) and we all could not make it to my grandparent's for Christmas each year. My granddad loved having all of us together like when we were kids, but knew it was too hard to always make it due to in-law families to see. So he came up with the idea for us to always get together around the 4th of July. This year it is the weekend after the 4th.


Share your favorite July 4th pictures.
I was not able to find each year in my files, but I found several of my favorite.

2004 - Sammi did NOT like the fireworks this year. In fact, when it was dark and we did big fireworks, she screamed so loud that Jason and I took turns being with her inside my dad's house. She was ok with the sparklers, but still a little leary.


2005 - We try to get a picture of Sammi with her cousins each year. These are my sister's kids. Aren't they cute?


2007 - Joshua and Sammi swimming at my dad's. I love that he has a beach-entry in his pool. A great place for a tot to sit in the water.


2008 - I love this picture. I used another one that was taken then for our Christmas card last year.

That's all I got! I can't wait to read what other's in Blog Land do for their 4th. Happy 4th of July!!

12 comments:

Angie said...

Ok...your gonna have to post your baked potato recipe...I love crock pot recipes. It sounds yummy! I love the photo of Sammi holding the water bottle...cutie patootie! Happy 4th to you!

lsnellings said...

Last year my daughter was not a fan of fireworks either. She hit the ground like she was under fire as soon as they started! I have a cute picture of her staring down a sparkler on my FMM post.

Happy 4th!

Marcia said...

awe... Happy 4th to you!! Love all the pics!

Jolanthe said...

cute pictures! Happy FMM!

Jolanthe

Lins said...

Poor thing! My brother hated fireworks when he was growing up. Thankfully, at 23, he's overcome that fear. :)

Unknown said...

Love that little Joshua's curls!!!!!! He is such a cutie...of course, so is Sammi!!

Hope you have a better Tuesday than Monday. And I hope you have an even better 4th of July!!

~Becca

schwadette said...

Your picture with the sparkler is really cute! :) Brisket with your baked potato dish sounds too yummy! What time and where?? :)

happy FMM and 4th!

Shawn said...

Love the traditions, being with family in the pool is the best! I'm hoping the rain stops long enough to enjoy the day and NOT have 30 people in my house!

Happy 4th!

~S

Jessica said...

Swimming on the 4th of July...unheard of! :) Happy 4th of July to you and your family.

Kelli said...

Can I go to your dad's and have brisket and your casserole? Ooh, and swim and then watch the fireworks...sounds like a blast!

Christie in Dallas, TX said...

Please share your potato recipe -- sounds great and easy! Have a great 4th and enjoy those fireworks!

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

Your Grandad sounds like good people!
Cute pix and you should post your potato recipe....